Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Challenges

Sometimes I think I watch too many reality game shows.  Sometimes when I'm trying to use up pantry items for dinner, I can't help but think of how I would complete a food limitation challenge when watching "Next Food Network Star" or "Top Chef."  The same goes for sewing projects.  As I was watching again the newest Fruit of the Loom "Fruit Guys" music video commercial where we see a bride and groom come out of the chapel in comfy sweats, I was suddenly struck with this idea of making a formal gown entirely out of simple jersey knit.  I can't help it, I think it would be both interesting and challenging and a lot of fun.  I thought of doing a formal gown with the twist of using just a casual fabric, but somehow I think that making it from jersey - either from repurposed t-shirts or sheets or actual yardage - would just yield a very interesting result, as well as giving me purpose to learn to sew on knits.

Of course, this challenge to myself is going to have to go to the back of the line, since I have 900 million Christmas projects as well as starting stock for the etsy shop that needs to have been started like 5 months ago. :-O  But I'm definitely coming back to this, because I think it would be a fun and interesting challenge to myself as a novice seamstress, and may give me some new ideas for products in the future! 

Have you ever issued yourself a sewing challenge?  Did it turn out as you expected?  Any tips for me as I think about this project in the way back recesses of my mind?

No comments: