Saturday, September 18, 2010

Zip it!

I got my sewing machine back from the repairman on Thursday with the promise that it is GOOD now.  I love it when a repairman looks at your problem and declares that they have no earthly idea what could have possibly happened to make the problem occur.  My husband swears I have some sort of machinery breaking abilities.  I told him to keep it on the DL, because I might have X-Men-like powers and would soon be recruited by the government as a super weapon.

I decided to test out the machine and get Lilah's flower girl dress finally FINISHED.  Well, it needs a good pressing and some stray threads clipped, but it has exceeded my seamstress abilities and I am just calling it done, though it is far, far from perfect.

The main problem I had with the dress is the D@mn zipper!!!!  Why?  Why is it so hard to install a zipper????  I read the directions.  I even watched and read a couple of tutorials (this one was especially easy to follow) and I STILL couldn't get it in right.  The little overlaps totally are hanging way above the neckline, and the zipper area itself is far from perfect, since many places along the zipper didn't get caught in the sewing so it could come right apart at any second.

But she's only got to wear it for a couple of hours.  The parts that are so messy will likely be hidden by her sash, and the neckline...well, I'll just try to neaten that up as much as I can.

One day, maybe I'll know how to sew and sew well, but for now, I'm just glad to get my first attempt at a "formal" dress done.

The wedding is next saturday, so I'll save a picture post for the full dress/sash cute child combo :-)

Now, onto trying to finish MY dress...which also has a zipper.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again??

No comments: